Sunday, September 13, 2015

What is Health?

What is health? According to my lecture notes, there are five pillars of health: nutrition, exercise, sleep, stress and social.

However, according to me, health is something that I need to improve on radically. Although I am the strongest at the social and sleep aspects of health, the other pillars are in need of dire improvement. Outside of school, I hang out with my friends and get food with them very often, so I do have healthy social relationships with my peers. I also sleep very often, since I take a brief nap everyday after school and try not to go to sleep too late. However, for nutrition, I try to eat a balanced diet with vegetables and other nutrients, but I end up eating chips, candy, and other empty calories. Furthermore, I do not exercise that often; I occasionally walk home from school (a 30 minute walk) or bike to my friend's house to spend time with them, but I definitely do not get the recommended 30 minutes of exercise a day. Lastly, I have many extracurricular activities and lots of homework from school classes, so it is hard to complete everything and end with a calm mind; however, I am trying to take small breaks in between tasks to keep a tranquil mind.
In this unit of health, I want to learn about the perfect routine of exercise and nutrition in order to help my body function at its best ability. I also hope to improve my mood and spirit in general by improving the my exercise, diet, and stress control, so I can learn how to live a happier life with less effort. Furthermore, I want to learn about the accuracy of the food pyramid, since I have heard many assertions that the food pyramid is actually inaccurate. I am truly excited for this unit about health! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment