Sunday, February 28, 2016

20 Time: Project for this Semester- Teenage Depression

For this semester, I will be conducting a 20 Time project revolving around the subject of teenage depression. 20 Time is essentially a project or idea that an individual works on in order to reach a goal, taking up about 20 percent of class time, hence the name 20 Time. This idea was popularized by Google, since many of Google's famous and important programs have been created during 20 Time; 20 Time offers a creative outlet so an individual's innovation is not limited. My essential question that is going to be answered once I reach my goal is: What are the hidden symptoms and methods of alleviation of depression? I specifically chose teenage depression out of other forms of depression because teenage depression is the most prevalent; adolescence is a time of lots of change and therefore discomfort or emotional instability. For example, our school now holds a "Speak Up For Change" week every single year, a week during which students speak up about usually stigmatized issues like depression and eating disorders. This event was not held even a few years ago, but is now focused on heavily because of its prevalence in our highly competitive community. For this project, I will be making a drawing book that will document the symptoms, causes, and "cures" for depression. This book will not contain complicated or scientific language, so it can be easily understood by people of all ages. Furthermore, because it will be easier to understand than scientific books and studies about depression, younger and younger kids can be exposed to these issues and learn how to prevent them. By spreading awareness of the symptoms and "cures" of depression, especially that of teenagers, I hope to answer the essential question and get rid of the stigma surrounding depression. While working on this project during class, I plan to first come up with a story that is easy to follow and relatable to teenagers from all kinds of communities. My progress will most likely be measured in a quantitative format, conflating the number of pages I have completed to my level of progress. As I am writing this blog post, I have not yet started my project. From now, I plan to decide first how long my story should be, so I do not overwhelm myself with an unnecessarily long story. Hopefully this drawing book will spread awareness about an issue that needs to be talked about more!

5 comments:

  1. I think your topic is extremely relevant and interesting! It's good idea because it is something that will actually make a difference in our community.I am personally working on a project that also has to do with mental illnesses, but mine is less focused on a cure; instead it is focused on educating the pubic and through that, eliminating it at its root. I think you should track your progress with pictures of your book,it would be interesting to share!

    Supriya

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the concept of making a drawing book that documents teenage depression. As you said, teenage depression is a prevalent issue in society, and I agree with you. In your blog, you mentioned that you will be discussing about ¨cures¨ of depression. How will you find about these ¨cures?¨

    Kelly Hsu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I really like your idea because as you said, teen depression is a huge problem in our society and I think by choosing an easy-to-understand format, you'll be able to reach a wider audience. I know people who suffer from depression and its good to end the stigma associated with mental health disorders. I think that it might be interesting to incorporate a couple different scenarios? I'm not sure how much work that would require though and whether you would have time for that but I think it would make the story a little more relatable. I also think it would be a good idea for you to make a timeline so that you could stay on track with your progress. What types of depression do you want to cover?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your topic relates to our school tremendously. Depression plays a huge role in the lives of high school students. Many people are affected by it and the results can be fatal. Your project will help spread more awareness about depression and display to people who have never really been exposed to it before, how it feels to be depressed. It may be a good idea to talk to some people that have gone through depression to help corroborate your project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're taking on a big and important topic, and I love that. Be clear with your goals as this will help keep you from taking on too much or trying to find a silver bullet solution. Any impact you can make on this issue is good. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete