Monday, March 28, 2016

20 Time Update #2: Starting the Biggest Obstacle

Throughout these past two weeks, I have made some progress, but these two weeks have passed more quickly than I expected. Similar to my last progress report, I still feel like I could have made more progress than I did. Then again, with only about 40 minutes a week to work on 20 Time, it is difficult to make significant progress.
I have now about finalized my story, and I have successfully cut down and gotten rid of all the unnecessary details in order to keep the length of the story reasonable. The main cause of depression for the main character in my story is being LGBT in a conservative community and family, which causes lots of conflict. Through researching the experiences of LGBT teenagers in conservative communities, I have become more aware of other communities in the US and around the world, and I have especially become more appreciative of the community that I live in. Saratoga is an area with mostly progressive people, considering how close we are to San Francisco, which is a landmark for LGBT activists. After reading the experiences of LGBT teenagers growing up in conservative areas like Southern America and Asia, I now realize how lucky I am to live in an area where there are many resources for LGBT people. Although I am not LGBT myself, I have a few friends that are, and I am happy that they can be open with themselves here.
For the next two weeks, I plan to actually begin my drawing book by making basic sketches and deciding which parts of my stories will be on which pages, because even though I have reduced the length of my storyline, I could still make the actual storybook longer. I feel like starting making the physical drawing book is the hardest step for me, hence the title "Starting the Biggest Obstacle," because I tend to be quite lazy and tired early in the morning. Hopefully, by the next two week progress report, I will have some physical sketches and at least one page finished.

2 comments:

  1. It's always interesting to study other communities and see how different they are from Saratoga. I think everything about what you are doing is great, only suggestion would be maybe do some research on the lgbt members of our own community, it might help to hear their stories. Also maybe sit in a LGBT club meeting to gather some other information. So far though great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story book seems like a great way to inform others who are not so aware of the LGBT community. Saratoga really shields people from real-life experiences, because so many who live here are more fortunate. I would try to gather more stories, so you can blend them into your book.

    ReplyDelete